Salesforce app development allows you to provide a consistent UX of your product offerings or services. Salesforce is the most recognized platform that allows businesses of all sizes to develop apps that allows you to engage better with customers and get deeper insights into customer journeys.
Custom app development is a preferred strategy for creating apps that are both visually appealing and allows you to connect better with your users. This guide introduces you to the nuances of Salesforce application development and how to balance performance through end-to-end functionality testing.
Types of Salesforce Apps
There are different types of Salesforce apps depending on their applications. Some of the business needs that can be addressed include improvement or transformation of your sales, customer service, and marketing processes.
However, there are 2 main categories of custom Salesforce app development:
- Complex Apps: Such apps add significant functionality to the CRM platform. Such applications address the needs in the improvement or transformation of internal business processes that may not be addressed through regular functionality.
- Small & Simple Apps: Such apps are designed as solutions for specific tasks such as lead assignment and document generation.
Approach to Salesforce App Development
Some of the facets to Salesforce app development include the following:
- Project management of custom apps for internal use
- Project management of custom apps for AppExchange
- Needs-based delivery models
- Quality focus
- Long-term improvement, evolution, and support
- Providing reasonable costs
- Flexibility in the project timeline
What is Salesforce App Testing?
Among other benefits, Salesforce makes it easier to customize its features to address your business’ needs. Salesforce testing allows you to validate the customization and configuration performed within your app. The key challenge is checking the customized code compared to testing the built-in Salesforce functionality.
Reasons for Salesforce Testing
There are many reasons for performing Salesforce app development testing. Some of the most notable ones are as follows:
- Helps check the configuration and functionality of the code
- You can verify that the app supports the desired business processes
- You can ascertain that the initial build meets the planned requirement
- You can catch issues early when they are easier to fix
- Check the behavior and working condition of the application
- The functional flows report helps learn about the app’s functionality
- Workflows help check the functionality of time-based events
Salesforce Testing – Best Practices
There are a number of best practices that Salesforce development teams should keep in mind before undertaking Salesforce app development testing. When it comes to unit testing, you can write the test cases code before, after, or during the main code writing process. It is important to make it a part of the code-writing process. When adding new functionality, it is recommended to update the unit test cases to include tests for the revised functionality.
It is crucial that test code and functionality code are reviewed similarly. Doing this separately is a common error by developers.
It is recommended to follow these Salesforce app testing best practices:
i. Test During SDLC
Testing should start during SDLC. The QA team should be involved from the very start. The advantages include:
- Better understanding of requirements
- More affordable prediction of future issues
- Lesser chance of having a shorter time for testing
- Testing/QA team will be able to increase test coverage and types of tests
ii. Using Right Tools
There are many Salesforce app development testing tools. You should choose the proper tools that make it easy to manage a critical project. When it comes to functionality testing, both Android and Apple provide simulators to test on. Besides, Selenium is also an excellent tool for test automation.
iii. Project Summary
Make sure there is a brief project summary and testing guide. This will help in saving valuable time. It will also provide clarity about the background of the project, its purpose, and the features that need to be tested.
iv. Select the Right Testers
Conducting Salesforce app development testing requires in-depth expertise and experience. When it comes to UAT and regression testing, it is important to select the right tester having vast experience in UAT/regression tests.
v. Walkthrough Sessions
When the testing team has been initiated from the early phase of the project, they will have ample time to enhance the test coverage. Once the test cases have been prepared, make sure to have a walkthrough session. This should allow the test cases author to describe the cases to all the stakeholders. When test cases are shared with the development team prior to the implementation phase, it helps assess any issues in the code.
Types of Salesforce App Testing
There are two main types of app testing options for Salesforce app development:
- Manual Testing: This type of testing uses traditional methods. Your QA team can use this method to run functional testing, integration testing, happy path testing, system testing, and regression testing.
- Automated Testing: This involves the use of a program for testing the app. Examples of tools that facilitate automated testing include Selenium, QTP, Cucumber, Workday, and Assure Click among others.
Salesforce App Testing Levels
The different Salesforce app development testing levels are as follows:
i. Unit Testing
- Apex developers perform unit testing. Code is written with clauses that automatically conduct tests on the coverage.
- You will be able to assess the records of data that get affected. This helps ensure the code runs effectively in the environment.
- Apex code deployment into the production environment requires at least a 78% code coverage ratio.
ii. System Testing
An experienced team of Salesforce consultants will conduct system testing during Salesforce app development.
- The technical processes get tested from start to finish and runs test scripts depending on the outputs
- You can troubleshoot issues using automated rules within the system such as validation, workflow, and assignment
iii. UAT Testing
This type of app testing will be performed at the user level. It involves the following components:
- Helps to test the app’s capability in supporting business processes
- The output requires client confirmation about the system’s usefulness
- It follows the test script depending on the business processes
iv. Production Testing
This level in Salesforce app development testing repeats the system testing process within the production environment.
- You can test the correct deployment of config and code from sandbox to production environment
- The client can check the UAT scripts once again before deployment
v. Regression Testing
The goal of this level of testing is to ensure the config and code releases affect current system users’ processes. This testing runs when a fix or update has been deployed in production. During this level, users can mark the changes that may affect current processes.
Salesforce App Automated Testing
Automation testing is important and it cannot be taken out of the picture. You should know that most configurations get tested using automation testing scripts. There are many advantages of automated testing, including the following:
- Reliability: The tests are processed precisely the same way every time they are run
- Scalability: Automation testing can be scaled for all types of scenarios. You can run the same testing processes as many times as you want to test various scenarios. You may conduct load testing to check the app’s performance under various conditions.
- Quality: The increase in code coverage allows you to increase the number of tested functionalities. This helps enhance the quality of the delivery.
- Versatility: Automated Salesforce app development testing can cover different devices and operating systems.
- Cost-Effective: Once a script is written, there is no need to rely on resources to run different types of tests. The script can be run on multiple applications.
Features of Automated Testing
Some of the main features of automated Salesforce app development testing are as follows:
i. AI-Based Automated Testing
- Create resilient tests that don’t break with any app changes
- Significant reduction in test development and efforts for maintenance
- Reduction in false positives and increased reliability on test results
- Prevent flaky tests and the requirement of redundant test runs
ii. High Efficiency of SaaS
When you use automated testing, there is no need to set up, update, or maintain software.
- No more issues related to lost automation code or non-checked-in code
- Backward compatibility and automatic updates
- Allow distributed teams to work using a single codebase
iii. Scriptless Testing
Automated testing can be conducted by QA teams and Subject Matter Experts, not just programmers.
- You can develop test automation without the need for getting into programming
- Simulate complex, loop-free test workflows, control flow commands, and conditional statements
- Automate dynamic user interface and dynamic content
iv. Cloud Scalability
You can get faster results by scaling Salesforce app development tests on the Cloud.
- Prevent the need for building/maintaining testing infrastructure
- Secure connection with apps behind public/private Clouds or corporate firewalls
- Support for a larger combination of devices and operating systems
v. Cross-Browser/Device Testing
Automated testing allows you to test UX on thousands of testing platforms. You can run tests on thousands of combinations of devices, operating systems, browsers, and resolutions. Tests could be run on real emulators and real mobile devices. You can get secure access to apps and databases protected by firewalls.
vi. Performance Testing
- Measure the performance of apps under transaction/user loads
- Assess online/download key metrics such as response time and errors
- Locate performance bottlenecks instantly
- Use comparison reports to track time-based trends from multiple builds
Thus, there are many advantages of using Salesforce app development automated testing. You can run native app tests, API testing, get actionable analytics, DevOps integration, run data-driven testing, and much more.